Saturday, May 12, 2012

As if the rain were electric, had grounded circuits that the electric might be

Tumblr_m1z5z8hka51qlccb8o1_1280_large

Quotes from All The Pretty Horses, continued:

Firstly, I love this quote, for an obvious reasons.

The comparison - mice and humans. Experiments and reality. Clever point made beautifully. He is right, of course: there is no "might have been" and reality is the only absolute. Knowing is scrap because "green and foolishness and a love of blood" cannot escape a man and has never escaped a man.
When I was in school I studied biology. I learned that in making their experiments scientists will take some group--bacteria, mice, people--and subject that group to certain conditions. They compare the results with a second group which has not been disturbed. This second group is called the control group. It is the control group which enables the scientist gauge the effect of his experiment. To judge the significance of what has occurred. In history there are no control groups. There is no one to tell us what might have been. We weep over the might have been, but there is no might have been. There never was. It is supposed to be true that those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it. I don't believe knowing can save us. What is constant in history is greed and foolishness and a love of blood and this is a thing that even God--who knows all that can be known--seems powerless to change.
Sort of sad to acknowledge the quote below but I've seen it to be true.
The closest bonds we will ever know are bonds of grief. The deepest community one of sorrow.
The two quotes below speaks to me, it is what has been expected of me, and why? I used think so too, yet I think empathy can never reach out to somehow who attempts to create a bond of grief as compensation.
I'd of thought maybe the disappointments of your own life might of made you more sympathetic to other people.
You would have thought wrongly. I guess so. It is not my experience that life's difficulties make people more charitable. I guess it depends on the people.
True: death cures all.
Those whom life does not cure death will . . . In the end we all come to be cured of our sentiments.
 This is beautiful... all the trouble of the world to produce a flower? All unity?
He thought that in the beauty of the world were hid a secret. He thought that the world’s heart beat at some terrible cost and that the world’s pain and its beauty moved in a relationship of diverging equity and that in this headlong deficit the blood of multitudes might ultimately be exacted for the vision of a single flower.
And last but not least... this is witty:
The trouble with a liar is he cant remember what he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment